Sunday, May 31, 2009

I WAS TAUGHT GRATTITUDE

I was taught to be grateful from my childhood. My Aunt Irene Callahan was bedridden more than thirty years with rheumatoid arthritis. She was told to rest before they knew that exercise is better. She still had five children and was married over fifty years. She had many challenges.

She would always cheer everyone up that came to visit her. You would leave feeling better, even though you were there, trying to help her. She was not perfect, but she taught me to make the best of your situation. Rene did not believe in watching TV, she just read her Bible and talked to people.

I guess that is where I got the title of my blog from, some do ask. I fly around in my power chair, she would have loved to be able to do that. It took me 15 years of hating the chair before I realized what an aide I have.
Everyone with a disease like MS has the battle of the chair. Rightly so.

When you are feeling down, look around and it will not take long to see someone else, in a worse condition.

8 comments:

Diane said...

Kim, Great to find your blog! The battle of the chair has been on my mind alot lately as I am having a new flare due to more lesions in my spine.

I am already dreading loosing my ability to walk. I've only had MS for 6 years and it seems to be moving along more quickly the last year. My mom had MS and after watching what she went through and passing away at 46, I dread the disability. Sounds like you handle it well now - that's awesome.

I'm going to read some more of your blog now, good stuff! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder and telling me about your Aunt. I'm glad that I found you.

A.Marie said...

My husband's grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis and was very crippled. She handled it with such grace and dignity, and her husband was such a big help to her. She would have loved a power chair! But, you are right, when a person is feeling down, that is when they should look around and see what other people are going through. On the subject of illnesses, because of how he saw his grandfather help his grandmother, I believe that is where my husband learned how to be compassionate with me and my illness. Thanks for the great post! :)

Anonymous said...

I stopped over to say HI and see what you were up to.

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

Really a great post! My Aunt Irene was my Grandma Della. She taught me so much about inner strength, both in words and actions. I sure do miss her, and still think back to her words of wisdom to help get me through tough times.

Khris Cantrell said...

A chronic illness is something that will really test a person. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for the past 4 years now. My wife has had MS for the past 18 years. While these things have slowed us down, it is our goal to stay as active as possible. Some days that is easier said than done. Our faith has helped us more than anything. It is so important to try to stay as positive as we can about the conditions we have. I am truly grateful for what we do have. I am happy that you are grateful for what you have as well. God bless!

Sara said...

Love your outlook in life and enjoy your blog!

awb said...

You are so right, I am just thankful I am still here to complain, if it had been worse, I would have been gone 20 some years ago. Take care,

Andy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...